Sunday 18 March 2018

Sous Vide

I bought a Sous Vide wand. It was on offer so I'm not too bothered if it turns out to be a toasted sandwich maker and sits under the sink unused for years.
I haven't tried it yet but reports are that it makes very tender beef, but then so does cooking in a crock pot for 8 hours. And one of the selling points was it made silky poached eggs, but who wants to wait an hour and a half for eggs. But maybe there's a timer to set things so you could set-up the night before and then have them in the morning.
It also seems you could get an eye of round, a lean piece of beef and turn it into fillet but it would take 24 hours in this thing.
Now as I said I don't know. I don't know if it will work, I don't know if it will be more of a pest than anything. I don't know if it will be heavy on power.
It seems it operates at a warm tapwater temp', about 60 degrees.

More to follow.

Oh I thought I'd need a pump to suck out all the air but you don't. All you need is a bag you can seal, one you can squeeze out all the air so the food sinks.   

5 comments:

  1. I remember that technique from some of the cooking shows I watch. But I had to look up the wand as I couldn't picture what it looked like or how it would work. I kind of agree on the time things might take might be a turn off, but if it makes tastier versions then it might be worth it.
    Why aren't you using the sandwich maker? Is it a panini press? I have one of those and it's one of my favorite little appliances. I like them mushed and gooey I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a George Forman for all the world only a dwarf version. And it hasn't a clip like a true sandwich maker. But I remember the old style ones, it could turn cheese and tomato into something akin to that magma that was pissing out of that cliff down where your mother is. You'd have 1st degree burns in the mouth for weeks after. A panini is less molding and melting.

      At the moment I have two small steaks in the thing. I put oil, thyme, and chilli flakes along with some salt. I have it in a big pot and I used tap water that was at 55 degrees Celsius and the wand thing brought it to 62. It says for medium rare you cook for 45 mins but I like well done so I've put it to 130min. Then I'll have to fry on a dry pan.

      Delete
  2. I have eaten a few things run through a sous vide machine and while they do get the perfect cook on things, it really lacks in texture and flavor. For meats, a lot of the flavor and texture comes from putting a crust or sere on the outside of the meat. One has to add a lot of flavor to meats run through the sous vide to compensate but the texture is still off and really can't be replaced without more cooking which defeats the purpose. I have never had an egg run through one of those machines but like you, I'm not sure the perfect doneness would justify the time unless you could set it to run via a timer. To me, where it probably excels is cooking those things where there is a fine line between just right and over done. Can't think of what that might be off the top of my head but I'm sure there are things like that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a process I've seen done on TV often enough, but never really had any desire to try myself.

    Actually, I'm still caught up in the mental image you've created of that hot magma dripping out. I'm infamous for burning myself with hot coffee or pizza. Impatient when it comes to food/drink, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can’t believe you did not include a picture!

    ReplyDelete