Tuesday 20 March 2018

OK, Sous Vide update.

Hmmm, is all I can say at the moment. Yes, it cooked the 3/4 inch steaks. But the result was so utterly tasteless it couldn't be more tasteless had it been boiled in the water directly. Yes, the Pro's say to keep the Jus, juice in our language, to make a gravy. And to fry it off after drying the meat, which I did. Texture-wise it was good. You wouldn't need a steak knife for instance, but it was a chew. Meaning there was a substance to it.
Ok so maybe I didn't do all the steps. I didn't have a vacuum for instance. And I didn't make a gravy.

So, today I saw an offer for rump steak. And I bought a joint and had the butcher seal it in with their vacuum machine. It's now been in the pot for 5.30 hours and is going to be in for another .30. Then I'll leave it overnight, thence to an oven for a blistering 20 mins at a high heat.  And I'll reduce the liquor and add some olive oil and herbs and so forth to make a sauce.

On other news. I have an image hanging in Italy near Como. The one with the gate finials, ooo, maybe I didn't post it here.
I titled it Ajar. A term in English connotes a welcome, as in opening. In Italian, it's the opposite, as in closing.


   

6 comments:

  1. Oh shoot! I'm sorry it wasn't great the first time around. Like anything else, it's probably good you're trying again and maybe with each one you'll get a better flavor. I have nothing to add or share to your process as I've never made it or had it.
    This is great photo. Very interesting. What's it doing in Como?!?! I hope you will share that story!
    i just finished reading a book that took place, part of the time, in Como. I've not been to that part of Italy, but it was a fascinating read. And of course, the Clooneys spend time there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that the chef's like this method because it keeps weight and volume. And then they fry it off when they need to reheat and sauce on demand. You could cook 30 T-bones at a time and leave them in the vacuum pack until needed by customers. Then sear on the pan for a min a side and cook the sauce. Then you'd have the flavour back, I suspect.

      I'll let you know about the picture later. They are making a video.

      Delete
  2. I like the old iron gates. When I was growing up, you couldn't hardly give those kinds of things away except to a scrap dealer who bought them by the pound. These days, any sort of old wrought iron brings high dollar amounts of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the hand hammered ones interesting. They are the direct descendants of the ancient ironmongers.

      Delete
  3. I'll be interested to know how the flavor is this time. I would have thought you'd want to add some herbs and seasonings to the bag before vacuum sealing.

    I've mentioned before how much I love wrought iron, so I think this photo is beautiful. Yes.... share the full story with us when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest for the home they are an utter waste of time. I cooked that joint for 6 hours, and could probably have done another 10 before it was truly cooked.
      Anywoo's. This lunch I roasted it for 20min or so like you would with a joint and then sliced some for lunch. It was then I realised it needed about an hour in an oven at roasting heat. So basically I could've put it in the over at low heat and achieved the same, but better, for it would be packed with flavour.

      I think the people are putting in in a video but I have to check tomorrow.

      Delete