Thursday 10 May 2018

Coffee; A confession.

I am fully committed to coffee. Indeed so much so that I've lordy alone knows how many ways I can get the stuff into myself.
One tool I lusted after was a burr grinder but I really couldn't spend the €70 about $100. Well that's not true. I could spend it what I couldn't do was justify it to myself.
The burr grinder crushes the bean slowly and so cold. Meaning you have a better result from the coffee. Now I've had the purchase in mind for the better part of 15 years and never pulled the trigger, and still haven't. But neither did I buy a normal spice coffee spinning thingy for €12 thinking as I did that since I was going to buy the Burr at some point and wouldn't it be a waste.
So, in one of the usual things with me when the €12 grinder was reduced to €8 I said I'll get it. And now I'm kicking myself that I didn't go earlier.

8 comments:

  1. Fortunately, I was blessed with taste buds that have never been able to tolerate coffee. My brother and mom however are thoroughly addicted to Keurig machines with fancy flavored creamers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some trouble getting into my account I'm still blocked in Firefox.

      Hmm, I'm a black coffee guy. I never really took to cappuccino's even when I did use milk. And I'm not sure about the pods.

      Delete
  2. I've been off and on with coffee over the years - currently on. At one time, I always bought whole beans and ground them myself. These days I'm lazy and just used the pre-ground. I use my old grinder for mustard seeds instead, for making my homemade tequila mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have to go off it every few months or so.

      Ever tried cried chilli in that tequila. Whizz it up and put a pinch in.

      Delete
  3. I love coffee and have had a grinder for sometime (maybe $15 twenty years ago). Sadly, I drank the last of the coffee I brought back from Guatemala in the Dry Tortugas. I love coffee done in a peculator, which I mostly have when in the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you could get it sent for not much more than buying local. Or perhaps you have a Fair Trade importer in the city.
      Hmm, Dry Tortugas are ringing bells but I can't find the reference. I'm thinking 1740's ishy, Austrian Succession. Did you sail down ?.

      Delete
  4. I heard as an adolescent that coffee and beer are both “acquired tastes.” I never acquired it for coffee and have never drunk a cup in my life. Beer is another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acquiring a taste for beer early before treated water was a certain way to prolong your life. Tea and coffee was a way around it for the anti-drink lobby. But had people simply boiled the water without the tea or coffee they'd get to the same place. But have you ever tried to drink cooling water. It's like getting 10 crackers into yourself.

      Delete