Sunday 29 November 2015

Up-date !

It's been a while since I wrote anything of any length here. And about 6 weeks since I had much pizazz for anything at all.
I've been quite busy all in all and a few good thing have occurred. I've done a video editing course as it seems we're about to get fibre broadband in the area, which would make up-loading history videos about the different sites a possibility. Since I have a camera that can record HD, it seemed a sin not to use it. Who knows, I might stink, the camera might hate me. But I sure know how to cut and splice, fade and bin a taped recording.
I've been to three openings, something I swore never to attend after living in London and involving myself in that scene, and disliking it intensely. And same-same, but slightly different. You still have the greedy, the arrogant and the selfish populating the Arts. But you also have the generous, the kind and the actually very good artists.
I got my tax number for the Artists Exemption, meaning I can earn €50,000 from my work before tax hits. It's not really as generous as it sounds. But it does confer a recognition hard to get any-place else.
In all this I've been ill, but not anything I could put a finger on. I went to the doctor and the prick said he'd never heard of the list of symptoms and suggested I find another doctor. So basically I've been left to figure out what the hell has been going on these last number of year on my own. But then I see on the BBC that the NHS has a Health Advisory about Type 2 diabetes and 'tick' to every darn bullet point. I've suspected this for a few years, but was being told it was high cholesterol. The upshot of this is I'm furious at the person who has the gall to title themself doctor and was so unwilling to hear a client. Well, lets see if his Medical Council will heed a letter.

Anyhows, since I climb a mountain most weekends, rain or shine, it's not really newsy. And there really are only so many shots off or of Slievenamon I can upload without people saying 'wow, but the grass has grown a bit since last week'. But today was good. It took me twice the time to get to the top. Storm Clodagh was tearing through with winds of Force 10. It was absolutely magnificent. 

6 comments:

  1. Definitely not all doctors are well educated in bedside manners. Sounds like you have one of the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't a lack of bedside manner but far nearer outright hostility.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are among the writing again. :) I'm sorry to hear about not feeling well. Not quite sure how your health care system works, but are you able to visit a different doctor? I would imagine that is an easy enough test to find out if you are - isn't it just a blood test? It seems that you are quite careful with your food and are regularly active, I'd imagine that would be a surprising diagnosis, but then again, everyone's system works and metabolizes things differently. Good luck with sorting that out. I know, health questions can weigh heavily.
    Congrats on the tax id and learning the video. About 6 months ago I was volunteered for some arts integration training at school and had to make a video documenting evidence of learning through the arts. It was HARD. Taking the video was nothing, it was the putting together you mentioned that was a challenge. I spend HOURS on that thing - learning while doing. A class would have been a good idea. I'm sure it makes so much more sense with that knowledge. Adding that element to your photography might be kind of fun, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've been a busy little bee this year. And yeah, one of the reasons why the course was to make the videos a bit slick. Well not slick in the bad sense , but where they are viewable without being too aware that it's all one great long 6 mins. If there's fades and bridges it would keep the attention.

      No, and yes. Type 2 is a nasty bastard simply because you can arrive with full blown disease in a few ways. but I've noticed over these last few years that almost any carbs will make me feel ill. It's something you hardly notice in one way until your realise you've removed almost everything you'd once eaten and your cuisine has gone from eclectic to bland and grey.

      Delete
  3. You HAVE been busy... and to a good end, for the most part. I was tickled at your comment about the "art crowd". They're a different breed, no doubt. ;)

    I'm sorry about the health issues. As I mentioned recently, it's wearying to have chronic problems, especially ones that are unresolved. Yes, there are definitely some doctors out there that don't belong in clinical situations, no matter how much they might be at the top of their game. I hope you can find one that will take you seriously and work with you to find a diagnosis and treatment plan. Life is too short to be miserable, even on a small scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, very busy. But no fun if you know what I mean. It just seemed that when I should savour the doing's I'd get so exhausted that I'd have to go to bed.

      On the Art crowd. In general you can bring it down to two types. One who want to include, and those determined to exclude.

      And yep, a new doctor in in my future. I'll be far more careful this time.

      Delete