Sunday 13 March 2016

Ps and Lr

I am now the possessor of Lightroom and Photoshop. All for the princely sum of €9.50 a month.
I've had Lightroom 5.7 for ages and I've been leery of getting into a pay on the drip for a subscription for Lr6, so I kept the Lr 5.7. Since Lr 6 comes packaged with Photoshop, I now have both.

Years ago I did a course on Photoshop and while not totally useless, nonetheless isn't great either. I have the terms, and the placing of the elements but what I've got now is a very different beast entirely.

While writing this the place is being buzzed by a light aircraft. Now learning to fly is one of those things I'd love to do if ever I won the lotto. But this little shit is well below the 1500ft safe zone.

Anywoos. I'm off to panorama things. One of the new tools of Lr.

5 comments:

  1. That panorama would make a lovely banner for the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! There's a whole world of photoshop out there that we have no idea about. :) Luckily there are so many tutorials available that are helpful. Once you get the tricks that you use it'll be easy.
    The subscription thing irks me a bit. I get that it keeps things updated all the time and you always have the best and newest, but the idea that it'll never be paid for makes it feel like a black hole. I pay for one for illustrator. When I was using it regularly the monthly fee didn't bother me, but paying for it when not using it makes me mad.
    The pano is great. Those clouds just hanging out there like tufts of cotton are quite pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is simply no way one person could know all of the Adobe stuff. And it seems there are more than one way of doing anything too, which makes viewing on youtube a touch difficult.
      I think if you are making money from the thing it wipes it's face cost wise. But if not, then it makes no sense at all. And you can get Lightroom 6 as a stand alone program for an 'in perpetuity' license for more or lees the same as a year for both. And that'll do 95% of photography.
      But I got it for 20% off, otherwise I'd do without. :-D

      Delete
    2. Yah, the discount does help ease the pain a bit. I got a small teacher discount on it, which is nice.
      You are right with all the different ways of doing something. I think it really depends on the "teacher". There have been several tutorials I've watched that have someone in the comments contradicting what the person making the tutorial says. Some are more round about ways while others are more efficient. I have found I'm better at one way than another, so it's just what works for you. And maybe it's not really "better", but feels more intuitive so it's easier to remember.

      Delete
    3. Organically, with a timetable, is the way, I feel, when studying on-line. If you are driving yourself too hard as for an exam you lose lot out of the back end of your short term memory.

      Delete