Monday 27 July 2015

Hmm, well that worked, big time.

I'm more of a Christian that I thought for while I had the makings of the meringues since Saturday I wasn't going to make them on Sunday because there were in no way needed. 
Anywoo's, I got up early today and separated there eggs, and on the 3rd egg the yolk broke into the whites. Now I'd read someplace ages ago that whites won't whip if there's any yolk in at all. So I reached in and removed the yolk into the bowl with the rest of them.
So, for the next three I did them in my fingers, and viola, perfect. Six yolks in one and three whites in another. The whites I whipped, and once nicely aerated I added caster sugar, about 200g of it, spoonful at a time. And once done I poured it onto a foil lined baking dish. I decided to forego the notion of little nests as being just too too girly, nod to SoCal, and went for the one big cake thing.
It cooked for 40 mins at about 150*C, turning it at about 30mins in.
It's come out as a lightweight toffee that transforms in the mouth. It's actually quite good. And for first effort too.
Next time I won't whip it so much.
The yolks I whipped while slowly drizzling olive oil into it, then I put a bit of vinegar. Once nicely thickened I put some salt and newly cracked pepper. 
All in all a good morning.   

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've been busy and with quite a bit of success! And what...no photos of your efforts?? I like food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (chuckle) Kelly, what they had in taste they didn't in looks. It looked like an off brown brick gone very wrong.

    Actually I thought it would take longer. I had the prep done and dusted for the meringues in less than ten, and the mayo done in much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah! I was hoping for pictures too! :)
    I'm glad it worked out well, although I hate to think that you didn't get the cookies you wanted, girlie or not. ;)
    Is this something that will satisfy a sweet tooth every now and then? Will you make again?
    I'm not at all a mayo fan, but impressed that you found a/made use of the yolks. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got baking paper this evening, something I didn't have this morning. That was the main reason I made a slab of the thing. But also i think I'll go slab anyway for I wasted a good bit in the bowl that I couldn't get out. And, if then I put the mix into a piping bag I'd lose even more.
      I went for a hollandaise sauce rather than a mayo in truth. I never make sauce thick, not with butter but I get there. All I'm missing is a bit of tarragon, and I planted that this year but it seems to have vanished.
      You know I got this thing to separate yolk from white that sits over a jug but it really is one of those things that should work but doesn't.

      Delete
    2. There are a few kitchen tools like that in my kitchen as well. Some gadgets are awesome while others are a waste of money and space in the kitchen.
      I saw an ad for Windows 10 on tv today. It's the first one I've seen. I wonder if they've fixed their bugs. Will you try again?

      Delete